When To Keep Kids Home
Do not send them to school if they have:
- A fever at 100.0 degrees or higher (Child must be fever-free for 24 hours without any fever-reducing medication)
- Thrown up or had diarrhea in the last 24 hours
- A rash until the cause is known and for as long as it is contagious
- Questionable or undiagnosed “Pink eye” – until the doctor permits attendance
- Other untreated illnesses such as head lice, parasites, strep throat etc.
Note: If your child has a communicable illness such as the strep throat, pink eye, head lice, influenza, or fifth’s disease, we ask that you report it to the school office.
High/Middle School Nurse
Welcome to Health Services
LeMars School District’s Health Services Department is strongly committed to student health and well-being. A child who is not healthy is unlikely to be alert, attentive, and ready to learn (NASN, 2002). A comprehensive school health program promotes student success.
LeMars School District has the equivalent of 2 full-time school nurses who provide nursing services in all of our elementary and secondary schools. The School Nurse serves as the health professional for the school community and provides a variety of services that support student learning.
Our Comprehensive School Health Program includes school health services, health education, and health promotion:
School Health Services
- Preventative and early identification services including screening programs for vision and hearing
- Emergency care for illness and injuries, and referral
- Management of acute and chronic health conditions
- Medication administration and monitoring
- Management and monitoring of communicable diseases
- Immunization compliance
- Assistance and support of District Health Curriculum to facilitate student’s development of health knowledge, attitudes, and skills
- Health information and referral resource support for school staff Health Promotion
- Partnering with parents and school community to promote wellness and prevention
- Supporting a healthy school environment which includes a safe physical and psychological environment